Monday, December 21, 2009

Freestyle Escape

David our caretaker and I have been busy getting the orchard under control at Freestyle Escape. Great to see to Loquats and Clove trees in flower. Longan and Kaffir Lime trees have fruit forming and the Tamarillo tree has an insane amount of fruit on it. photo of the fruit both green and ready for picking below.

Tamarillos


The flesh of the tamarillo is tangy and mildly sweet and may be compared to kiwifruit, tomato, or passion fruit. The skin and the flesh near it have an unpleasant bitter taste.

The fruit is eaten by scooping the flesh from a halved fruit similar to a passionfruit.
They give a unique flavor when made into a compote, added to stews, hollandaise, chutneys, curries and salads. My pick for desserts would be to serve it with a pannacotta or bavarois.





My friend Elizabeth worked up a sweat weeding and pruning the herb garden while David was on the brushcutter and I was behind the slasher. Its looking quite a picture! Our art class groups find it a novelty to pick herbs and salad ingredients prior to mealtimes. Life is about the experiences we have. Looking forward to hosting a few foodie events in the outdoor kitchen in 2010.






As you can see one has to be a mountain goat to do anything on the property. We were fortunate enough this week to get a little rain but as you can see by the picture of the dam we are in desperate need of water. Last month we planted the water lillies and other water plants and put in some rainbow fish to eat the mosquito larvae.

My heart goes out to our wonderful farmers in the Sunshine Coast hinterland. They are so reliant on the weather and its so labour intensive to grow and cultivate our food. Next time you eat some yummy fresh regional produce, give thanks and thought to the farmers who get it from the paddock to our plates.

1 comment:

HyunChard said...

As for me, one of the best coast I've visited is the one near a property sunshine coast where I found my partner in life. Its like a paradise for me where I found my angel. Anyway nice post you've got there, your enjoyment of what you are doing is the best part.